Toon Final Cut Pro user group

Final Cut Pro user group for North of England

OK. This might seem a bit elementary, but it's been something that I have never really resolved. If, when extracting footage from a pre-recorded DVD via a suitable piece of software, what is the best format to save it as in order to edit in FCP, assuming you will be placing  the finished edited movie back onto a DVD keeping the quality as high as possible..
I have tended to favour transposing it to a normal DV pal mode, for no other reason than that is what I set FCP in preferences when capturing from my camera devises (as that is what they are on the camera)...even this may not be the best thing to do...every one keeps talking about the pro-res options, but I'll leave that issue for another time. It's this extracted DVD footage issue I want resolved. Any advise on formats will be appreciated.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Paul,
I have to ask immediately, of course, if you own the copyright to these DVDs? If you don't I won't be able to tell you how on this forum as I can't endorse copyright infringement.

But if you are working legally, try MPGStreamclip to process the .VOBs of the Video_TS folder.

Everything in FCP should be Quicktime medi, so that's what you are aiming for.

Let me know what it is you are trying to demux?
Hi Barbara,
I'm endeavoring to extract some clips from a Robbie Williams tribute act I filmed a couple of years ago, they want me to make a couple of small promo clips for their website. So following your advise I should process the footage into a quicktime movie, which is one of the options available on the extraction software I use. I'll look into MPG Streamclip in the meantime. On a similar subject. I have been advised "on line" that to achieve the best results I should export from FCP using the PNG compression. This will maximize the final movie to use in a DVD. Is this correct....not only does it take forever,,,,but I thought PNG was for use with stills only. What would you recommend?

Barbara Keating said:
Hey Paul,
I have to ask immediately, of course, if you own the copyright to these DVDs? If you don't I won't be able to tell you how on this forum as I can't endorse copyright infringement.

But if you are working legally, try MPGStreamclip to process the .VOBs of the Video_TS folder.

Everything in FCP should be Quicktime medi, so that's what you are aiming for.

Let me know what it is you are trying to demux?

RSS

Latest Activity

© 2017   Created by Barbara Keating.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service